In today’s digital world, majority of businesses are also highly dependent on the Internet. With a strong internet connection, SMEs are exploring, rather creating a world of opportunities for them. When it comes to having a secure and strong internet connection for your business, leased internet is the first thing which comes to everyone’s mind. So today, lets understand what exactly is a leased line internet and how it helps your business!
What is a Leased Line Internet Connection?
A leased line is a dedicated, fixed-bandwidth data connection between 2 points. This is used to transfer high volumes of data or voice traffic between the two points. This technology allows businesses to have a reliable, high quality internet connection. It also provides guaranteed upload and download speed, uptime and resilience. This connection is known as “leased line” because the connection is rented by the business from the Internet Service Provider (ISP). This means that this particular connection is used only by the business. The standard broadband service, on the other hand, is shared by thousands of people.
Generally, these connections are used for:
- Carrying VoIP conference calls
- Linking servers and PCs in different offices of the business.
- Connecting office equipment to the internet.
- Making it possible for staff to work-from-home.
How does Leased Line Internet works?
A leased line connection uses the exact same technology which is used in fiber optic broadband connection. A fiber optic leased line works by sending the data in form of pulses of light, through a fiber optic cable. When you need to send data down a fiber optic cable, the equipment on the either end is on the lookout for light. They check whether the light is on or off – representing the binary 0s and 1s of digital data.
Equipment at one end, sender’s end, will turn lights on and off to represent 1s and 0s. The equipment at the other end, receiver’s end, recognizes this, records it and stores it back as 1s and 0s. The data travels at the speed of light. The only limiting factor on the speed is how quickly is the equipment at either ends able to send and recognize these signals.
Common features of a leased line connection:
A leased line connection generally has the following distinctive characteristics:
- Symmetrical: Leased line connections are usually symmetric in nature. What this means in that the upload and download speed are the same, unlike the traditional asymmetric broadband connection. Symmetrical connections are incredibly useful for today’s modern businesses, who are increasingly using cloud services. This is so because they require a reliable connection and fast download as well as upload rates. VoIP-based telephony is a key example.
- Uncontended and Point-to-Point: Unlike the standard internet connection, which is contended – bandwidth shared amongst the users of a local area, leased line connection is uncontended. With dedicated leased line, the bandwidth, as per your requirement, is given to you and not shared. This ensures that your business doesn’t face connectivity or speed issues even during peak hours.
Why choose a Leased Line Connection?
So far, we have discussed what is a leased line connection, how does it work, and what are its common features. But you might wonder why should you get a leased line connection for your business. Don’t worry, we will help you answer that too.
It has been made clear that a leased line connection provides high-speed internet, symmetric speed, high security as the bandwidth is not shared with anyone else, stronger signals and low latency. But are these things actually required for your business? To answer this, you need to ask the following questions to yourself:
- Does my business have speed sensitive data transfer needs?
- Does my business depend heavily on Software as a Service (Sass) and Cloud Applications?
- Does my business use VoIP Services?
If your answer to these questions is yes, then an internet leased line connection will be suitable for your business. This is so because all of the above scenarios require a stable, symmetrical, high-speed internet connection.
If you need any further assistance with getting a leased line connection for your business, visit our website to know how Kappa’s Leased Bandwidth will help your business grow in today’s tech savvy world!